[Rd] Change of compiler for Windows build of R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Aug 15 16:53:11 CEST 2007

On 8/14/2007 2:52 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> The MinGW people have finally released a couple of builds of gcc 4.2.1
> (and finally moved the build of 3.4.5 to release status after 19 months as
> 'candidate').
>
> We intend to use gcc 4.2.1 for the binary distribution of R 2.6.0, and
> builds of R-devel are being made with it from now on.  The R-admin manual
> now contains details of the pieces you need, and in due course there will
> be an updated Rtools.exe containing this version.  I've successfully built
> cross-compilers although am unlikely to distribute one for a while.

Rtools.exe has now been updated on www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools.
Please let me know of any problems.

It currently includes both gcc 4.2.1 and 3.4.5; I expect to drop 3.4.5
sometime after the release of R 2.6.0.  It also includes Vanilla Perl,
so finally Rtools.exe is all you need to build packages on Windows.
(You probably want to get the Microsoft help compiler and some LaTeX,
but these are not strictly necessary.)

Duncan Murdoch