[Rd] methods and try() [R-devel]

Byron Ellis byron.ellis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 07:32:01 CEST 2007

Hi all, I'm having a problem with some sort of interaction with try()
and methods, I think.

The setup is as follows, I have an S4 class that holds an environment
and I would like to evaluate the right hand side of a function inside
that environment. No problem there.

However, if the formula involves a symbol that doesn't exist, which
may or may not happen, it fails as it should and reports and error
"blah blah does not exist." As it should.

When I wrap that same call in a try() statement, the error becomes "no
function to return from, jumping to top level," bypassing the try
statement and generally wreaking havoc. Any clues what might be
causing this?

--
Byron Ellis (byron.ellis at gmail.com)
"Oook" -- The Librarian