[Rd] suggesting \alias* for Rd files (in particular for S4 method documentation)

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Aug 30 16:06:35 CEST 2007

I think Oleg makes a good point here, and I don't see how his suggestion
would hide any documentation.

As an example, start R and then open the HTML help page, and go to the
Category package. If you click on any one of

annotation,GOHyperGParams-method
categoryName,GOHyperGParams-method
conditional,GOHyperGParams-method
conditional<-,GOHyperGParams-method
GOHyperGParams-class
ontology,GOHyperGParams-method
ontology<-,GOHyperGParams-method
show,GOHyperGParams-method

You will be sent to the same help page, which contains the documentation
for all those specific methods. The question here is do we really this
many-to-one relationship in the HTML pages?

In general (Oleg notwithstanding), I think the HTML pages are used
primarily by new users to R, and having such an overload on the index
page for this package is IMO a disservice to these people. Having just
one link, GOHyperGParams-class, or possibly an additional
GOHyperGParams-methods would be much cleaner.

There already exists a mechanism for keeping internal methods from
showing up in the HTML indices: adding \keyword{internal} to the end of
the .Rd file. However, this hides all the \alias{} (and \name{})
entries, so won't do what Oleg wants unless you have two separate .Rd
files, one containing the \alias{} names you want to show, and the other
with the 'internal' keyword.

Best,

Jim