[Rd] R install problem on MacOS 10.5.1 (PR#10476)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Dec 3 23:43:46 CET 2007

On Dec 3, 2007, at 4:45 PM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> Out of interest, why (the hell!) would the R installer trying to
> temper with gcc's files? It looks like it is either trying to rename
> or delete them.

Because it *is* the gcc files? (Note the "/local" in the paths.) Full
R comes with GNU Fortran 4.2.1, because Apple doesn't offer any
Fortran compiler and most other Fortran compiler binaries for Mac OS X
out on the web are not really working well. It installs in /usr/local.

> R needs gfortran's runtime library, and tries to detect for its
> presence, that's fair enough...

It doesn't need it, or rather, it ships its own copy inside the R
framework. If you install just R, it won't touch anything outside the
R.framework / R.app.

> modifying, no. Is the failure because the R installer try to put in
> some of gcc/xcode, which the user already has, or something like that?

No. The failure is due to a strange symlink in /usr/local/lib that
points to itself. I suspect that this has something to do with an
upgrade from Tiger to Leopard or Xcode 3 installation and that Apple
actually creates that infinite symlink. Given that there is "/usr/loca/
lib 1" lingering around, I'd bet that

sudo rm /usr/local/lib
sudo mv '/usr/local/lib 1' /usr/local/lib

will fix the problem.

I'm not quite sure what to do with this - I don't really want out
installer to start attempting to fix broken OS X. If we start doing
so, we may as well replace entire the X11 on Leopard ;).

Cheers,
Simon