[Rd] Cross Compiling for ARM

Junqian Gordon Xu xjqian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 06:41:06 CET 2007

I am trying to cross compile R-2.6.0 for ARM. I have my cross compiling
tool chain set up already.

I've read the cross compiling guide for WIN
# http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/cross-build.pdf
# http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Makefile-rcb

Following the same approach, I compiled the native R-2.6.0 version
first. Then passed R=R-2.6.0 to ./configure. After that, I hacked
makefiles to set R_EXE to the native R binary.

I was able to compile through until R packages in /src/library, where
the following command was issued

$R_EXE --vanilla --slave -f /src/library/base/makebasedb.R

| Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) :
| may already be using lazy loading on base
| Calls: local -> eval.parent -> eval -> eval -> eval -> eval
| Execution halted

Seems the error was caused by lazy loading mechanism of the native R
binary on the host. AFAIK --vanilla should suppress loading any package
upon startup, however, seems there is no way to get around lazy loading.

My questions are why cross compiling for WIN don't hit this error (maybe
some special setting I'm not aware of was set in the makefile for WIN).
Second, how could I get around this lazy loading issue, if my approach
is not completely off?

Thanks
Gordon