[Rd] S4 class extending data.frame?

Oleg Sklyar osklyar at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 11:41:42 CET 2007

I had the same problem. Generally data.frame's behave like lists, but
while you can extend list, there are problems extending a data.frame
class. This comes down to the internal representation of the object I
guess. Vectors, including list, contain their information in a (hidden)
slot .Data (see the example below). data.frame's do not seem to follow
this convention.

Any idea how to go around?

The following example is exactly the same as Ben's for a data.frame, but
using a list. It works fine and one can see that the list structure is
stored in .Data

* ~: R
R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
> setClass("c3",representation(comment="character"),contains="list")
[1] "c3"
> l = list(1:3,2:4)
> z3 = new("c3",l,comment="hello")
> z3