[Rd] S4 class extending data.frame?

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Sat Dec 15 22:39:44 CET 2007

  Thanks, Martin.  In the short term (a) seems best.  In the long
run we may try (c), because there are other things that data.frame
doesn't do that we want it to do (i.e., allow arbitrary objects with
[ methods, print methods, and the same length to be bound together,
rather than being restricted to atomic vectors + Date/factor).

  cheers
    Ben

Martin Morgan wrote:

> Ben, Oleg --
>
> Some solutions, which you've probably already thought of, are (a) move
> the data.frame into its own slot, instead of extending it, (b) manage
> the data.frame attributes yourself, or (c) reinvent the data.frame
> from scratch as a proper S4 class (e.g., extending 'list' with
> validity constraints on element length and homogeneity of element
> content).
>
> (b) places a lot of dependence on understanding the data.frame
> implementation, and is probably too tricky (for me) to get right,(c)
> is probably also tricky, and probably caries significant performance
> overhead (e.g., object duplication during validity checking).
>
> (a) means that you don't get automatic method inheritance. On the plus
> side, you still get the structure. It is trivial to implement methods
> like [, [[, etc to dispatch on your object and act on the appropriate
> slot. And in some sense you now know what methods i.e., those you've
> implemented, are supported on your object.
>
> Oleg, here's my cautionary tale for extending list, where manually
> subsetting the .Data slot mixes up the names (callNextMethod would
> have done the right thing, but was not appropriate). This was quite a
> subtle bug for me, because I hadn't been expecting named lists in my
> object; the problem surfaced when sapply used the (incorrectly subset)
> names attribute of the list. My solution in this case was to make sure
> 'names' were removed from lists used to construct objects. As a
> consequence I lose a nice little bit of sapply magic.
>
>> setClass('A', 'list')
> [1] "A"
>> setMethod('[', 'A', function(x, i, j, ..., drop=TRUE) {
> +     x at .Data <- x at .Data[i]
> +     x
> + })
> [1] "["
>> names(new('A', list(x=1, y=2))[2])
> [1] "x"
>
> Martin
>
> Oleg Sklyar <osklyar at ebi.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I had the same problem. Generally data.frame's behave like lists, but
>> while you can extend list, there are problems extending a data.frame
>> class. This comes down to the internal representation of the object I
>> guess. Vectors, including list, contain their information in a (hidden)
>> slot .Data (see the example below). data.frame's do not seem to follow
>> this convention.
>>
>> Any idea how to go around?
>>
>> The following example is exactly the same as Ben's for a data.frame, but
>> using a list. It works fine and one can see that the list structure is
>> stored in .Data
>>
>> * ~: R
>> R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
>>> setClass("c3",representation(comment="character"),contains="list")
>> [1] "c3"
>>> l = list(1:3,2:4)
>>> z3 = new("c3",l,comment="hello")
>>> z3
>> An object of class “c3”
>> [[1]]
>> [1] 1 2 3
>>
>> [[2]]
>> [1] 2 3 4
>>
>> Slot "comment":
>> [1] "hello"
>>
>>> z3 at .Data
>> [[1]]
>> [1] 1 2 3
>>
>> [[2]]
>> [1] 2 3 4
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oleg
>>
>> On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 00:04 -0500, Ben Bolker wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to build an S4 class that extends
>>> a data frame, but includes several more slots.
>>>
>>> Here's an example using integer as the base
>>> class instead:
>>>
>>> setClass("c1",representation(comment="character"),contains="integer")
>>> z1 = new("c1",55,comment="hello")
>>> z1
>>> z1+10
>>> z1[1]
>>> z1 at comment
>>>
>>>  -- in other words, it behaves exactly as an integer
>>> for access and operations but happens to have another slot.
>>>
>>>  If I do this with a data frame instead, it doesn't seem to work
>>> at all.
>>>
>>> setClass("c2",representation(comment="character"),contains="data.frame")
>>> d = data.frame(1:3,2:4)