[Rd] (PR#10534 capture.output(), truncated last output without \n

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Sat Dec 29 13:44:04 CET 2007

Thank you, Brian.

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> This only happens if 'file' is a text connection, and is the expected
> behaviour in that case: you cannot capture an incomplete line to a text
> connection.

Well, in ?textConnection, Details section, one can read:
"Closing the connection will output the final line, complete or not."

> There seems no reason to break the documented behaviour in other cases
> to change something that you consider to a bug when file=NULL and the
> user does not produce complete output.  It would be possible to make use
> of isIncomplete() to add a final newline only where needed to complete a
> line.  E.g. use
>
>     if(inherits(file, "textConnection") && isIncomplete(file)) cat("\n")

This is fine, except one cannot detect when the last line was complete
or not in capture.output(). I suggest adding an attribute complete =
TRUE/FALSE to the result returned by capture.output(), or any other mean
to return this information.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean