[Rd] possible bug: dev.copy / could not find any X11 fonts

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 1 03:08:15 CET 2007

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
<snipped>
> Annoying, but your example works for me, so I suspect that the problem
> is nevertheless a setup issue at your end....   I would guess that the
> culprit is the tiny font used to label the axes. Things like this
> sometimes happen when you are missing 75dpi fontset. If you fire up
> xfontsel, can you find
>
> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-8-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
>
> ?
> (available pixel sizes should be 8,10,11,12,14,17,18,20,24,25,34)

The examples also works for me, and I was wondering about similiar
issues; but my thought is more along the line of the scalable PS
Type 1 fonts being missing. (The Type 1 fonts is scalable and functions
as catch-all for any size). Given the vintage of it - i486-* probably
indicates that the CPU is pre-pentium or the linux distribution is,
so the X server may not be able to or configured to use PS Type1 fonts.
On my X server I have both the -adobe-helvetica-* bitmap fonts,
and also it as PS Type 1 (The URW clone of the 13 standard
postscript fonts is carried by ghostcript and also occasionally
carried by or made available on some linux distro to Xfree/Xorg)

HTL