[Rd] How to customize the list of exported functions in a shared library

Vladimir Eremeev wl2776 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 15:41:56 CET 2007

Andrew Piskorski wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 01:28:24AM -0800, Vladimir Eremeev wrote:
>> I am writing binding from C library to R.
>> I use R 2.4.1, windows XP, and MinGW.
>
>> R CMD SHLIB -d --output=Rsnns.dll  [ list of all C sources]
>
>> R CMD SHLIB -d --output Rsnns.dll Rsnns.c
>> -Wl,-Lc:/mingw/lib,-lfl,-L../sources,-lkernel,-lfunc
>
> You should probably also show us the actual compiler/linker commands
> that "R CMD SHLIB" is generating, so we can be sure of what's really
> going on.

It calls gcc:
gcc  "-I../sources" "-I."  -IC:/PROGRA~1/R/include  -gdwarf-2 -Wall -O2
-std=gnu99   -c rsnns.c -o rsnns.o
gcc  -shared   -o Rsnns.dll Rsnns.def [ lots of *.o ]  -LC:/PROGRA~1/R/bin
"-Lc:/mingw/lib" -lfl -liberty   -lR

The file Rsnns.def is generated automatically and is deleted on success.
On error, it remains, and contains export of all symbols.
Probably GCC generates it, I haven't tracked its generation in the R's
scripts.

Andrew Piskorski wrote:

> I'm not sure what you may have to do differently with MinGW on Windows
> (what linker does that use anyway?), but for comparison, here's how I
> do it for R 2.2.1, on Linux (Ubuntu Dapper 6.06), with gcc 4.0.3, and
> Gnu ld 2.16.91:

gcc.EXE (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)
GNU ld version 2.15.91 20040904

Thank you, I'll study this linker option.