[Rd] RPM support for package installation?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 19:16:33 CET 2007

The problem is the speed with which R packages change.  My dept considered
this, and decided against.  There have been something like 200 new
versions of CRAN packages already this year.

Even if we provided automated wrappers to make source RPMs, someone would
still have to build the binary RPMs for your (unstated) architecture and
then install it.  Unless you use very few packages nor sysadmin is going
to be happy with this approach.

It really is quite easy to have your own library and install packages
there, and it will become easier in 2.5.0.  Your 'workaround' is the
preferred solution for many sites including ours, although for our most
popular architectures we also run a central site-library of popular
packages (e.g. those used for teaching here).