[Rd] xlsReadWrite Pro and embedding objects and files in Excel worksheets

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 8 12:16:55 CET 2007

I don't know of any native xls read/write facility in R, either
in core or as add-ons (I could be wrong), but if you want some source
code to scavenge on to build some R package out of it, there are two
perl modules, Spreadsheet::ParseExcel and Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
which are small enough to "read from front cover to back cover",
so to speak, might be useful for reference and steal code from.

The other open-source packages which can read/write excel files
are gnumeric and openoffice and probably too big to find one's way
around the source code to steal there :-).

Good luck.

HTL