[Rd] xlsReadWrite Pro and embedding objects and files in Excel worksheets

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 8 14:50:15 CET 2007

James W. MacDonald wrote:
> Have you looked at RDCOMClient? I would imagine you could do what you
> want with this package.
>
> http://www.omegahat.org/RDCOMClient/

Interesting point. But the dcom client would be windows-specific?
(those I mentioned - the perl mondules, openoffice, run on windows,
as well as unix boxes - not sure about gnumeric :-).

In fact there is a very perverse way of doing it - ActiveState provides
a PerlCom product for hooking up dcom with activestate perl. i.e. you
can go via R -> RDComClient -> PerlCom -> ActiveState Perl ->
SpreadSheet::* . Just so that it does not require Excel installed
or an MS Office license...

In that sense, probably technology based on bridging over odbc
is also acceptable?

HTL