[Rd] Problem using ofstream in C++ class in package for MacOS X

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Thu Feb 8 22:04:14 CET 2007

Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 10:47:37PM +0100, cstrato wrote:
>
>> Seth Falcon wrote:

>>> You should be able to use gdb on OS X (works for me, YMMV).  So you
>>> could try:
>>>
>>>       R -d gdb
>>>       run
>>>       # source a script that causes crash
>>>       # back in gdb, use backtrace, etc.
>>>
>>> + seth
>>>

>> Dear Seth
>>
>> Thank you for this tip, I just tried it and here is the result:
>>
>> Welcome to MyClass
>>  > writeFileCpp("myout_fileCpp.txt")
>> [1] "outfile =  myout_fileCpp.txt"
>> Writing file myout_fileCpp.txt using C++ style.
>> ---MyClassA::MyClassA()---------
>> ---MyClassA::WriteFileCpp---------
>>
>> Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
>> Reason: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at address: 0x00000006
>> 0x020fe231 in std::ostream::flush (this=0x214f178) at
>> /Builds/unix/o403/i686-apple-darwin8/libstdc++-v3/include/bits/ostream.tcc:395
>> 395
>> /Builds/unix/o403/i686-apple-darwin8/libstdc++-v3/include/bits/ostream.tcc:
>> No such file or directory.
>>         in
>> /Builds/unix/o403/i686-apple-darwin8/libstdc++-v3/include/bits/ostream.tcc
>> (gdb)
>>
>> It seems that it cannot find ostream.tcc, whatever this extension means.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Christian
>>

> I also don't see what the problem is, but have a couple of thoughts.
> Under OS-X there is an environment variable you can define to get the
> dynamic linker to load debug versions of libraries.  I can't remember
> what it is, but maybe something like DYLD_DEBUG (but probably DEBUG is
> part of the value of the variable).
>
> For that, or the tracing above, to be fully informative you need to
> have installed the appropriate debugging libraries and sources.
>
> You may need to set an explicit source search path in gdb to pick up
> the source files.
>
> Try stepping through the code from write before the crash to determine
> exactly where it runs into trouble.
>
> Does the output file you are trying to create exist?
>
> Unfortunately, none of this really gets at your core bug, but it might
> help track it down.
>
> Ross

Dear Ross

Thank you, my problem is that I know exactly where the problem is but
not how to solve it.

I have installed R-2.4.1 on three different machines to test the package:
- Intel-Laptop running Fedora Core 4:         package is OK
- PPC-PowerBook Titanium OS X 10.4.4:         package is OK
- Intel-MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo OS X 10.4.8:   C output OK, C++ output
crashes R

The following code in method WriteFileCpp() works, but gives no result:
{
  std::ofstream output(outfile);
  output.close();
}

The following code in method WriteFileCpp() crashes R:
{
  std::ofstream output(outfile);
  output << "21" << endl;
  output.close();
}

It seems that on the Intel-MacBook Pro the operator "<<" is not
recognized, when called
from within my package in R.
In contrast, when compiled as a C++ library, the same code does work on
my Intel-Mac!

Best regards
Christian