[Rd] xlsReadWrite Pro and embedding objects and files in Excel worksheets

Mark W Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 08:01:12 CET 2007

Gabor,

What I want is a bit more than hyperlinks, although I did ask the
package developer about that to. My idea is, from within R, place things
like pdf files and .Rdata directly into an Excel spreadsheet. As a
practical matter, if I can create a report with some data that someone
else can manipulate as a "regular" spreadsheet (ex. sort gene lists) and
then have other sheets that contain pdf output files of graphs I do
within R. I would also like to archive my R workspace at time of
analysis so that I could, if I had to, the analysis again. As I and
others are constantly tweaking what functions do, it is sometimes
impossible for me to go back and figure out what versions of what
functions I was using. sessionInfo won't do what I want.

Since Hans-Peter came up with his really nice package, I thought I would
throw this out as an idea. I have been doing this manually for some time
  and my boss likes it because he only has to get one file from me, not
10. I include worksheets with the values of parameters passed to
functions, abbreviations, etc. Then 5 months from now and he wants me to
explain the sheet to him, everything is in one place.

In a way, I want to treat an Excel spreadsheet as a list (the workbook)
that can contain different kinds of objects (spreadsheets, pdfs, Rdata,
ex.). The Excel file acts as a binder for these different files. My boss
doesn't even want to deal with zipped files because when they are
unzipped he ends up with tons of files.

I know this might not make a lot of sense to UNIX users who mostly
interact with other programmers, but for those of us who deal with the
computer-barely-literate biologists who run Windows, it could be a nice
way of keeping things together.

BTW, I only mention Excel and Windows because that is what I use. I
think it would be great to come up with a common format that Linux, Mac,
and UNIX users could use. Could openOffice serve that purpose?

Thanks for your input.

Mark