[Rd] Bug in httpget function for internet.Rout test (PR#9509)

plynchnlm at gmail.com plynchnlm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 18:04:10 CET 2007

Full_Name: Paul Lynch
Version: 2.4.1
OS: RedHat EL4
Submission from: (NULL) (130.14.254.25)

The httpget function used for the test that produces the internet.Rout file (or
in my case, the internet.Rout.fail file) checks for a "Content-Length" header
returned from a  webserver in response to the URL:
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/datasets/csb/ch11b.dat.  When I attempt to access
that URL either via the make check in R or via "curl --head
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/datasets/csb/ch11b.dat" via the command line, the
header I receive is "Content-length" with a lower case "l".  Another user on
r-help reports that he gets it with an upper case "L", so the problem appears to
be only visible from certain IP addresses.  It seems likely that the web server
at www.stats.ox.ac.uk is doing some load balancing based on the incoming IP
address, so that some users with get a response from a web server that returns
"Content-length" while others will get a response from a different web server
that returns "Content-Length".  Whatever the cause  is, it seems reasonable that
the test for internet.Rout in httpget should not particular about whether the
upper or lower case "L" is used.