[Rd] Problem with types on 64-bit

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 22 23:54:27 CET 2007

Neither NULL nor "hello" are valid values for an element of a STRSXP: only
CHARSXPs are.  So your test is not the correct one: you need to test
both isString(v_dta_start) and  TYPEOF(STRING_ELT( v_dta_start, 0 )) ==
CHARSXP to be really safe.

Calling STRSXP on a random SEXP is likely to give different results on
different machines: there is no fundamental 32- vs 64-but difference here.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk