[Rd] slow graphics on MAC OS X R-2.4.1 (PR#9530)

felix.naef at isrec.ch felix.naef at isrec.ch
Sat Feb 24 16:58:59 CET 2007

We use R a lot for graphics and noticed very slow graphics in Quartz
mode where X11 is much faster.

Our hardware: intel mac pro and intel macbook pro, both are affected.

os versions: OS X Tiger 10.4.8
R version: R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)

We tried the following simple thing.

- Open the R program from the dock (not from the command line)
- run the following two lines:
d = matrix(runif(300*2000),300,2000)
image(d)
image(d)  #again a second time

and see how long it takes to appear on screen the first time, and
again the second time.

Then close R and open an X11 terminal and start R from the command line.
try the same commands
d = matrix(runif(300*2000),300,2000)
image(d)
image(d)  #again a second time

We found huge differences in speed, perhaps we are doing something
wrong?
As a result we exclusively use R in X11 mode which works fine for us.

Felix Naef

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]