[Rd] IDE for R C++ package writing ?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Mon Feb 26 16:19:54 CET 2007

On Monday 26 February 2007 16:51, elw at stderr.org wrote:
> > First, great thanks to all for all the answers. I confess i was a bit
> > scared about (re)learning a possible tomorrow obsolete tool.
> >
> > I'm however quite astonished nobody proposes another tool. Do 100% R
> > package developers use emacs ?
>
> Plenty of folks don't use an IDE at all.  Copy/pasting working bits of
> code from your .Rhistory into a working file is a very useful tactic...

You kidding, right? (I mean, maybe lots of people do that, but maybe that
ain't such a good idea :-).

R.

P.S. Whether or not emacs + ess + ecb + a whole bunch of other things is or
not a "real IDE" (whatever that means) I think is tangential to the original
question. The issue, if I understand, are editing tools that will make the
editing et al. simpler. So

> > I'm however quite astonished nobody proposes another tool. Do 100% R
> > package developers use emacs ?

No. Not 100%. But you said you'll be using Windows but want to move to
GNU/Linux. Then, you might want to use the very same tool over a range of
OSs, or regardless of whether you are in front of your workstation, or
accessing it over a slow modem connection, etc. In such cases, Emacs is an
excellent choice. Or one of the very, very few. In addition, I think you are
seeing an example of  "once you try emacs, you often realize that other
choices do not really offer you all that much, but you loose a lot".

HTH,

R.

> --e

Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Statistical Computing Team
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)
(Spanish National Cancer Center)
Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3
28029 Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +-34-91-224-6972
Phone: +-34-91-224-6900

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en s...{{dropped}}