[Rd] Wish list

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Mon Jan 1 18:59:43 CET 2007

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> A few comments thrown in, and some general comments at the bottom.
>
> On 1/1/2007 1:28 AM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>> This is my 2007 New Year wishlist for R features:
>>
>> 1. [deleted thru 12]

>> 13. Make upper/lower case of simplify/SIMPLIFY consistent on all
>>     apply commands and add a simplify= arg to by.
>
> It would have been good not to introduce the inconsistency years ago,
> but it's too late to change now.

Really? The consistency issue only concerns mapply, I think.

How 'bout changing the formals of mapply to

$FUN

$...

$MoreArgs
NULL

$SIMPLIFY
simplify

$USE.NAMES
[1] TRUE

$simplify
[1] TRUE

i.e. add simplify = TRUE and change SIMPLIFY's default to 'simplify'

Then the default behavior is retained, specifying a value for
either SIMPLIFY or simplify gives the desired behavior and SIMPLIFY takes
precedence over simplify if both are given values. Not pretty, perhaps,
but it does the job.

I suppose this could get one into trouble if one of the ... args is named
'simplify', but I do not imagine that is a big deal.

>> 14. [rest deleted]

Charles C. Berry                        (858) 534-2098
                                          Dept of Family/Preventive Medicine
E mailto:cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu	         UC San Diego
http://biostat.ucsd.edu/~cberry/         La Jolla, San Diego 92093-0717