[Rd] Wish list

Henrik Bengtsson hb at stat.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 2 02:35:18 CET 2007

On 1/2/07, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> On 1/1/2007 12:59 PM, Charles C. Berry wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> >
> >> A few comments thrown in, and some general comments at the bottom.

> >> It would have been good not to introduce the inconsistency years ago,
> >> but it's too late to change now.
> >>

> > Really? The consistency issue only concerns mapply, I think.
>
> mapply and its wrapper Vectorize, and perhaps some functions in
> contributed packages.
>

> > How 'bout changing the formals of mapply to
> >
> > $FUN
> >

> > $...
> >

> > $MoreArgs
> > NULL
> >
> > $SIMPLIFY
> > simplify
> >
> > $USE.NAMES
> > [1] TRUE
> >
> > $simplify
> > [1] TRUE
> >
> > i.e. add simplify = TRUE and change SIMPLIFY's default to 'simplify'
> >
> > Then the default behavior is retained, specifying a value for
> > either SIMPLIFY or simplify gives the desired behavior and SIMPLIFY takes
> > precedence over simplify if both are given values. Not pretty, perhaps,
> > but it does the job.
>
> This allows mapply(..., simplify=TRUE), but is that really "the job"?  I
> think the point of consistency is to make code easier to read and write,
> and I'm not sure making this one parameter partially case-insensitive
> achieves that.  Should the same thing be done to the functions that
> currently use "simplify", to achieve even more consistency?  Yecch.

Given that you want to take the step to change/remove an argument, I
think this is a good strategy; first provide a backward compatible API
and announce that the original argument is deprecated, and then when
everyone had a chance to update and test dependent code, you can
safely remove the argument.

My $.02

Henrik