[Rd] Am I missing something about debugging?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Jan 2 23:24:35 CET 2007

I don't think you're missing anything with the debug() function. It
needs updating.

I don't think there's any structural reason why you shouldn't be able to
do the things you're talking about in R, but they haven't been
implemented.

Mark Bravington put together a package (called debug) that does more
than debug() does, but I haven't used it much, and I don't know if it
does what you want.

I recently added things to the R parser to keep track of connections
between R code and source files; that was partly meant as a first step
towards improving the debugging facilities.  I'd be happy to help anyone
who wants to do the hard work, but I don't think I'll be able to work on
it before next summer.  (If you do decide to work on it, please let me
know, just in case I do get a chance:  no point duplicating effort.)

Duncan Murdoch