[Rd] Am I missing something about debugging?

Byron Ellis ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 3 02:06:06 CET 2007

While a Smalltalk-style debugger would be pretty awesome, I suspect
R's semantics would make restartable exceptions pretty difficult and
R's current implementation would make getting the continuation-like
object you'd need pretty difficult, at least across the range of
platforms supported by R.

A solution, of course, would be to implement R's interpreter in
Smalltalk as a domain-specific language. Vista Smalltalk apparently
hosts a Lisp/Scheme interpreter and I know of at least one Lisp
implementation for Squeak, which serve as pretty good starting points
for an S-like language. :-)

Byron Ellis (byron.ellis at gmail.com)
"Oook" -- The Librarian