[Rd] Am I missing something about debugging?

Mark.Bravington at csiro.au Mark.Bravington at csiro.au
Thu Jan 4 07:06:49 CET 2007

It is possible to do some of these things with the 'debug' package-- the
article in R-news 2003 #3 shows a few of the tricks. Suppose 'b1' calls
'c1'. If 'c1' exists as "permanent" function defined outside 'b1' (which
I generally prefer, for clarity), then you can call 'mtrace( c1)' and
'c1' will be invoked whenever it's called-- you don't have to first
'mtrace' 'b1' and then manually call 'mtrace(c1)' while inside 'b1'.

Even if 'c1' is defined inside the body of 'b1', you can get something
similar by using conditional breakpoints, like this

> mtrace( b1)
> # whatever you type to get 'b1' going
D(17)> # now look at the code window for 'b1' and find the line just
after the definition of 'c1'
D(17)> # ... say that's on line 11
D(17)> bp( 11, {mtrace( c1);FALSE})
# which will auto-mtrace 'c1' without stopping; of course you could
hardwire this in the code of 'b1' too

the point is that you can stick all sorts of code inside a conditional
breakpoint to do other things-- if the expression returns FALSE then the
breakpoint won't be triggered, but the side-effects will still happen.
You can also use conditional breakpoints and 'skip' command to patch
code on-the-fly, but I generally find it's too much trouble.

Note also the trick of
D(17)> bp(1,F)

which is useful if 'b1' will be called again within the lifetime of the
current top-level expression and you actually don't want to stop.

The point about context is subtle because of R's scoping rules-- should
one look at lexical scope, or at things defined in calling functions?
The former happens by default in the 'debug' package (ie if you type the
name of something that can be "seen" from the current function, then the
debugger will find it, even if it's not defined in the current frame).
For the latter, though, if you are currently "inside" c1, then one way
to do it is to use 'sys.parent()' or 'sys.parent(2)' or whatever to
figure out the frame number of the "context" you want, then you could do
e.g.

D(18)> sp <- sys.frame( sys.parent( 2))
D(18)> evalq( ls(), sp)

etc which is not too bad. It's worth experimenting with sys.call etc
while inside my debugger, too-- I have gone to some lengths to try to
ensure that those functions work the way that might be expected (even
though they actually don't... long story).

If you are 'mtrace'ing one of the calling functions as well, then you
can also look at the frame numbers in the code windows to work out where
to 'evalq'.

The current 'debug' package doesn't include a "watch window" (even
though it's something I rely on heavily in Delphi, my main other
language) mainly because R can get stuck figuring out what to display in
that window. It's not that hard to do (I used ot have one in the Splus
version of my debugger) and I might add one in future if demand is high
enough. It would help if there was some way to "time-out" a
calculation-- e.g. a 'time.try' function a la

  result <- time.try( { do.some.big.calculation}, 0.05)

which would return an object of class "too-slow" if the calculation
takes more than 0.05s.

I'm certainly willing to consider adding other features to the 'debug'
package if they are easy enough and demand is high enough! [And if I
have time, which I mostly don't :( ]

Hope this is of some use

Mark

Mark Bravington
CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
Marine Laboratory
Castray Esplanade
Hobart 7001
TAS