[Rd] Can't load XML_1.4-0.zip in last R devel

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 6 09:10:51 CET 2007

The package source file XML/R/zzz.R contains

      temp <- Sys.getenv("PATH")
      on.exit(Sys.putenv(temp))

and ?Sys.putenv says

Usage:

      Sys.putenv(...)

      ...: arguments in 'name=value' form, with 'value' coercible to a
           character string.

so I believe this needs (and needed) to be Sys.putenv(PATH=temp).

In 2.4.1 it fails to reset the path which was apparently the intention.
Now, my belief is that this kludge is no longer necessary as library()
does the appropriate PATH setting (and uses Sys.putenv correctly).

It would have been helpful to make use of R's debugging tools yourself:
this was not at all hard to find and not an R-devel issue AFAICS.