[Rd] How to execute R scripts simultaneously from multiple threads

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 8 12:36:20 CET 2007

Erik van Zijst wrote:
> Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
<snipped>
>> At some point (years ago) there was even an argument on some mailiing list
>> (xfree86-devel ?) about whether Xserver should support shared memory as unix
>> socket was "fast enough" - with the other side arguing that when you pass
>> megabyte images around (as in DVD playback) there is non-negligible overhead.
>
> We're currently doing performance tests with the RServe-approach where
> we measure the actual evaluation time of a function. I'm interested in
> the evaluation-time versus overhead ratio. Loopback TCP might work as
> long as this ratio is sufficiently high.

Slightly off-topic, Vladimir sounded as if there was any argument of
supporting shared memory in X... AFAIK, the shared memory extension
*is* part of Xorg!

$ grep 'MIT-SHM' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM

- the shared memory extension is also crucial for
client-side font-rendering (xft/freetype) a.k.a. all those
nicely anti-aliased texts in firefox and openoffice, besides
DVD playbacks.

HTL