[Rd] can't compile on OSX: unsetenv header issues

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Jan 8 21:07:24 CET 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 12:47 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Seth Falcon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A recent change has R failing to compile (for me) on ppc OSX
>> 10.4.8 like this:
>>
>> ../../../../R-devel/src/main/datetime.c: In function `reset_tz':
>> ../../../../R-devel/src/main/datetime.c:511: error: void value not
>> ignored as it ought to be
>>
>> I suspect there is some sort of configure magic that needs to happen
>> to get the POSIX compatible unsetenv on OSX.  Here's what I think is
>> the relevant bit from stdlib.h, but I'm hoping someone with more OSX
>> experience will recognize what needs to be done.
>
> So do I, but does defining __DARWIN_UNIX03 at the head of that file
> (and sysutils.c) solve this?

I wouldn't set that one - it is used internally only. Instead, we
should consider using _POSIX_C_SOURCE if we really want true POSIX
compatibility. However, that is bound to affect all POSIX platforms,
so I'm wondering if we are ready for that.
For the record, defining any of _APPLE_C_SOURCE, _XOPEN_SOURCE or
_POSIX_C_SOURCE has the side-effect of enabling __DARWIN_UNIX03 on OS
X, so _APPLE_C_SOURCE is an alternative if we want to restrict this
to OS X only (it has the same effect, though).

Cheers,
Simon