[Rd] wine and build difference between R.2.4.0 and R 2.4.1 windows binaries?

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 18:04:19 CET 2007

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>
>> I'd like to know one thing though - was there any specific reason for
>> the mingw upgrade after 2.4.0, or was it just a routine
>> latest-is-greatest upgrade?
>
> There are specific requirements: from the CHANGES file
>
> 2.4.0:
>
> mingw-runtime >= 3.10 is required to build R (a bug fix in the handling
> of MBCS code is required).  This is enforced by a check in building
> Rpwd.exe.

Argh... MBCS. I tried running wine with debug on,
( WINEDEBUG=+relay wine Rgui.exe 2>&1 ) and it shows that just before
2.4.1/2.5dev crashes, R tried to called strlen() and strchr() on
"Error: invalid multibyte string" in ntdll.

Call ntdll.strlen(6c9a0a80 "Error: invalid multibyte string\n") ret=6c9150bd
Call ntdll.strchr(00e192e0 "Error: invalid multibyte string\n",0000000a)
ret=6c704ec0

It might be bogus, but the same trace is not found in
WINEDEBUG=+relay wine Rgui.exe 2>&1
with R 2.4.0 .

Can I have a svn revision number for the MBCS change please? It
should probably be the first thing I look at, as soon as I get
my cross-compile tools up to date... thanks a lot.

Hin-Tak