[Rd] Perhaps a stupid question about clipboards....

Byron Ellis ellis at stat.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 12 20:18:02 CET 2007

On 1/12/07, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Byron Ellis wrote:
>

> X11 has two, and with an extension three, and all can be accessed via
> file().

OS X supports arbitrarily and even uniquely named pasteboards (for use
as an IPC mechanism). I suppose a URI-esque "clipboard://" structure
could be used to figure out what you mean with "clipboard" pointing to
the "general" pasteboard.

> That is because no one has contributed it.  Please do so yourself.
> When you do, please bear in the mind the convenience factor I pointed out
> earlier in this thread.

That's probably because accessing the clipboard/pasteboards without
access to Objective-C is not documented and may not even be possible
(pbpaste and friends link the Objective-C frameworks to get the job
done). I saw that ObjC compiling has been added to R-devel so it may
now be not so bad...

> --

Byron Ellis (byron.ellis at gmail.com)
"Oook" -- The Librarian