[Rd] Java on 64-bin Linux [was: cross tools (was Re: wine and build difference between R.2.4.0 and R 2.4.1 windows binaries?)]

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 21:05:10 CET 2007

Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>
>> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>> Sun's Java 1.6 does not run JGR or rJava on our FC5 Opteron boxes
>>> unfortunately, which is behind my comment.  (It gives the same
>>> problems as 1.5.0_x, which Simon also had)  An essentially identical
>>> i686 installation (same set of FC5 RPMs) does run rJava etc.  We did
>>> manage to get a Blackdown version of Java 1.4.2 to start rJava, but
>>> it soon crashed.
>>
>> haploview is GUI and it does run alright-ish under the gcj-based jre
>> under FC6. I know gcj is not as mature as blackdown or Sun's ; but
>> given Sun's is 32-bit only, and gcj is shipped with FC6... and yes,
>> gcj on FC5 was a bit funny.
>>

> I'm running everything on Debian etch (=testing) and they are usually up
> to date. GIJ/GCJ/GNU classpath have made astonishing progress, but they
> are still not ready for the  prime-time. Swing & co. are just too
> complex to have a bullet-proof implementation - even Sun took years to
> come even close to an usable implementation ..

I don't intend to start a distribution war, but I found Debian testing
too *conservative* during my 1-week trial of Debian a couple of
years ago, and opted for Debian unstable almost right away. (and I try
to avoid Debian/Debian hang-outs - too many egos and bickering and
just not getting anything done). Debian stable is a joke for a fossil.

As for "not ready for prime-time" and the other comments
- nothing is ready for prime time if nothing ever get tested/used.
I only disguish between usable and not-usable. FWIW, I work with
some people who describe R as not ready for prime-time as well :-P.

And you can also discard Wine as "windows is too complex to have
a bullet-proof implementation, even Microsoft took years to come even
close to an usable implementation"...

Given that JNI with GCJ on FC6 does work with a reasonably complex
piece of software (gridengine.sunsource.net), and the GUI components
does work with a fairly graphically-rich piece of software
(haploview), I'd say it is worth giving gcj is try. After all,
nothing is ready for prime-time if nothing ever get used/tested -
and it applies as much to GCJ as it is for R.

Just my 2-cents.

Hin-Tak