[Rd] is it necessary to always register C routines with R_registerRoutines?

Vladimir Eremeev wl2776 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 12:12:23 CET 2007

I am writing bindings to the neural network simulator SNNS.
At present I have used only .C interface, now I'm studying .Call interface.

I have adapted the example from page 77 of r-exts.pdf, however, it crashes
R.
I use MingW as recommended by Duncan Murdoch.
Please, tell me what I am missing.
The code is below.

Thank you.

SEXP snns_getVersion(void)
{SEXP version;
 char *v;

  PROTECT(version=NEW_CHARACTER(15));
  v=CHARACTER_POINTER(version);
  strcpy(v,krui_getVersion());
  UNPROTECT(1);
  return version;
}

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=Russian_Russia.1251;LC_CTYPE=Russian_Russia.1251;LC_MONETARY=Russian_Russia.1251;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=Russian_Russia.1251

attached base packages:
[1] "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"  "methods"
[7] "base"