[Rd] Useful statusbar in RGui

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 24 15:12:49 CET 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, talepanda wrote:

> This may be Windows specific, so not appropriate for this List...
>
> Currently, when I'm in console of Rgui, the status bar says a simple message
> "R majer ver. minor ver. - A Language and Environment" which I know.
> When I'm in plot area, it says "R Graphics" which I know, again.
>

> I think it is very useful if statusbars says current directory,
> because in my daily use I open several Rgui windows in different
> directory (that is, different project), and it is diffecult to find
> the window which I want.

It is not clear to me that information is best put in the status bar and
not the title bar (which is where Unix-like systems can put it, and even
where Explorer does, and can be seen in the minimized versions).  So I
would think setWindowTitle() was at least as appropriate (and so did the
person who wrote its examples).

> Someone may hope something else.
>

> So, my proposal is to allow users to change the message in status bar.
>
> I think that a wrapper for function "setstatus" in
> src/guiwin32/graphapp/status.c is enough for this purpose.

Yes, that has been proposed recently in connection with interfaces for
messages().  Note though that at present only the MDI interface has the
option of a status bar.  I think we should move to a more standard way of
having these 'toolbars' on or off (e.g. ticked items on a View menu).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk