[Rd] how to trace what crashes R

Vladimir Eremeev wl2776 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 20:15:49 CET 2007

I am writing bindings to the C library (neural network simulator SNNS).
DLL was produced with the command
R CMD SHLIB  [source with C-wrappers, callable from R with .C and all
sources from the snns kernel]
I used latest MinGW.

The problem is. R crashes with the "segmentation violation".
Tracing with the insight and with simple Rprintf's gave me that crash occurs
on the call of the function deeply in the snns kernel.
That is, R correctly calls C wrapper, it calls the kernel function from the
so called "user interface" part, it calls another C function from the
internals, and that one calls the third C function.
And the segmentation fault occurs on the call of that function, it doesn't
do anything, its arguments have correct values, and it works in the other
situations, for example, when I run executables from the SNNS (either gui
version of the simulator, or batch interpreter).
Moreover, I don't think the reason in the incorrect arguments, since the
called function doesn't do anything.
Rprintf in the very beginning of its body doesn't work (I traced it in
console mode of R).

How could I trace, what happens?