[Rd] Speed of for loops

Tom McCallum tom.mccallum at levelelimited.com
Tue Jan 30 11:38:35 CET 2007

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about for loops.  If you have something like:

f <- function(x) {
	y <- rep(NA,10);
	for( i in 1:10 ) {
		if ( i > 3 ) {
			if ( is.na(y[i-3]) == FALSE ) {
				# some calculation F which depends on one or more of the previously
generated values in the series
				y[i] = y[i-1]+x[i];
			} else {
				y[i] <- x[i];
			}
		}
	}
}

e.g.

> f(c(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12));
  [1] NA NA NA  4  5  6 13 21 30 40

is there a faster way to process this than with a 'for' loop?  I have
looked at lapply as well but I have read that lapply is no faster than a
for loop and for my particular application it is easier to use a for loop.
Also I have seen 'rle' which I think may help me but am not sure as I have
only just come across it, any ideas?

Many thanks

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas McCallum
Systems Architect,
Email: tom at levelelimited.com

Level E is a limited company incorporated in Scotland. The c...{{dropped}}