[Rd] problem with findFun call from embedded R

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jul 5 18:12:38 CEST 2007

Joe Conway wrote:
> [...]
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open file 'foo.R', reason 'No such file or directory' in:
> file(file, "r", encoding = encoding)
> Error: could not find function "foo"
>
>   *** caught segfault ***
> address (nil), cause 'memory not mapped'
>
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace
> Selection: 1
> aborting ...
> Segmentation fault
> 8<------------------------
>
> The problem comes from RNamedCall starting at line 54:
> 8<------------------------
>    fun = findFun(install("foo"), R_GlobalEnv);
>    if(fun == R_NilValue) {
> 	fprintf(stderr, "No definition for function foo.
>                           Source foo.R and save the session.\n");
>    UNPROTECT(1);
>    exit(1);
>    }
> 8<------------------------
>
> If foo.R was not found and never sourced, meaning that the object "foo"
> does not exist, findFun never returns. Instead the segfault occurs at
> line 719 in errors.c at the LONGJMP statement. Setting a breakpoint at
> erros.c:719, the backtrace looks like this (will wrap poorly):
>
> 8<------------------------
> Breakpoint 2, jump_to_top_ex (traceback=TRUE, tryUserHandler=TRUE,
> processWarnings=TRUE, resetConsole=TRUE,
>      ignoreRestartContexts=FALSE) at errors.c:719
> 719         LONGJMP(R_ToplevelContext->cjmpbuf, 0);
> (gdb) bt
> #0  jump_to_top_ex (traceback=TRUE, tryUserHandler=TRUE,
> processWarnings=TRUE, resetConsole=TRUE,
>      ignoreRestartContexts=FALSE) at errors.c:719
> #1  0x00002aaaaab77e5d in verrorcall_dflt (call=0x609d78,
> format=0x2aaaaace4a4d "%s", ap=0x7fffa13a94c0)
>      at errors.c:516
> #2  0x00002aaaaab7814a in Rf_errorcall (call=0x609d78,
> format=0x2aaaaace4a4d "%s") at errors.c:551
> #3  0x00002aaaaab78347 in Rf_error (format=0x2aaaaace42da "could not
> find function \"%s\"") at errors.c:578
> #4  0x00002aaaaab708e5 in Rf_findFun (symbol=0xc64f20, rho=0x649fa0) at
> envir.c:1244
> #5  0x0000000000400e0c in bar1 () at RNamedCall.c:54
> #6  0x0000000000400d59 in main (argc=1, argv=0x7fffa13ab838) at
> RNamedCall.c:16
> 8<------------------------
>
> And then stepping into line 719 generates the segfault:
> 8<------------------------
> (gdb) s

> 0x00002aaaaab701ce in Rf_findVar (symbol=0x6c12b8, rho=0x0) at envir.c:998
> 998         if (TYPEOF(rho) == NILSXP)
> 8<------------------------
>
> I believe this is happening because findFun() was not executed inside a
> valid context, and therefore R_ToplevelContext->cjmpbuf is invalid.
>
> My question is -- is the above an abuse of findFun() by RNamedCall.c
> (meaning I should avoid the same pattern)? Or maybe it should be wrapped

Yes, when one embeds R, findFun() will call error() which causes the
longjmp() to the top level, so the embedding application shouldn't use
findFun().

  Here's what I've written for the next version of RApache. Note that
it's behavior is slightly different than the original findFun(), in that
it doesn't search the enclosing environments. (Also, comments welcome as
the implementation is based on the original, and I'm unsure if promise
evaluation is needed.)

/* This one doesn't longjmp when function not found */
static SEXP MyfindFun(SEXP symb, SEXP envir){
     SEXP fun;
     SEXPTYPE t;
     fun = findVar(symb,envir);
     t = TYPEOF(fun);

     /* eval promise if need be */
     if (t == PROMSXP){
         int error=1;
         fun = R_tryEval(fun,envir,&error);
         if (error) return R_UnboundValue;
         t = TYPEOF(fun);
     }

     if (t == CLOSXP || t == BUILTINSXP || t == BUILTINSXP || t ==
SPECIALSXP)
         return fun;
     return R_UnboundValue;
}