[Rd] cleanup and Makevars

Tue Jul 10 05:26:56 CEST 2007

Hi

This is a question prompted by the mac version of R, but as I see it,
it should have broader interest.

These days the CRAN Mac binary per default compiles every package for
two architectures. First i386 and then ppc. In between the two
compilation runs, any object files in pkgname/src is removed. This
cleanup is necessary since otherwise Make would not recompile the
object files under the next architecture.

I have a package which includes a large SDK which I have put in
   src/fusion_sdk
(and subdirectories). I take care of that by using a Makevars file
with essentially (the whole Makevars file is reproduced below)

PKG_SOURCES = \
         fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/CDFData.cpp

OBJS=$(PKG_SOURCES:.cpp=.o)

all: $(SHLIB)

However, this setup does not remove the object files in the
fusion_sdk subdirectory. From a posting on R-sig-mac by Simon Urbanek
I learned that I need to clean up these directories myself.

I have - per R extensions - attempted to do so using a pkgname/
cleanup script. While this works for cleaning up the sub directories
when I do R CMD build, it seems as if this script is not being run
between compilation runs (is this intentional btw.?).

So my question is now: how do I in a simple way clean up my
subdirectories? I would prefer it to be as simple as possible because
so far I have not really needed anything besides a Makevars file. In
fact the impression I have right now from looking at the SHLIB and
INSTALL scripts is that I might need a Makefile that removes the
object files _before_ starting the compilation, as I don't really see
any cleanup process (eg. making a target clean) - but this may very
well be due to my limited understanding of these scripts.

Any help/hints on how to proceed? Especially if I want it to be
portable?

Kasper

The full Makevars file:

MYCXXFLAGS=-O0

%.o: %.cpp
	$(CXX) $(ALL_CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CXXFLAGS) $(MYCXXFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

PKG_CPPFLAGS=\
-imacros R_affx_constants.h\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/array/src\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/exception/src\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/fusion/src\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/fusion/src/GCOSAdapter\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/fusion/src/CalvinAdapter\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/parameter/src\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/portability/src\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/template/src\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/utils/src\
-Ifusion_sdk/calvin_files/writers/src\
-Ifusion_sdk/file\
-Ifusion_sdk/portability\
-D_USE_MEM_MAPPING_

PKG_SOURCES = \
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/CDFData.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/CDFProbeGroupInformation.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/CDFProbeInformation.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/CDFProbeSetInformation.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/CDFQCProbeInformation.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/CDFQCProbeSetInformation.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/CELData.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/DataGroup.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/DataGroupHeader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/DataSet.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/DataSetHeader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/FileHeader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/GenericData.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/data/src/GenericDataHeader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/exception/src/ExceptionBase.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/fusion/src/CalvinAdapter/
CalvinCELDataAdapter.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/fusion/src/FusionBPMAPData.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/fusion/src/FusionCDFData.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/fusion/src/FusionCDFQCProbeSetNames.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/fusion/src/FusionCELData.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/fusion/src/GCOSAdapter/GCOSCELDataAdapter.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parameter/src/ParameterNameValueType.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src/CDFFileReader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src/CelFileReader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src/DataGroupHeaderReader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src/DataGroupReader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src/DataSetHeaderReader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src/DataSetReader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src/FileHeaderReader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src/FileInput.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src/GenericDataHeaderReader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/parsers/src/GenericFileReader.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/utils/src/AffymetrixGuid.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/utils/src/DateTime.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/utils/src/FileUtils.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/utils/src/StringUtils.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/calvin_files/utils/src/checksum.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/file/BPMAPFileData.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/file/BPMAPFileWriter.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/file/CDFFileData.cpp\
	fusion_sdk/file/CELFileData.cpp\