[Rd] BLAS / LAPACK version information from within R-session?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 10 08:02:50 CEST 2007

AFAIK all platforms by default work the same: they use dynamic libraries
for BLAS and LAPACK, and these may well be symbolic links.  I know of no
way to ask a BLAS dynamic library what version it is.

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Peter Ruckdeschel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> for diagnostic purposes, I would like to get information about
> the BLAS / LAPACK linked against R from within an R-session.
>
> An obvious application could be safety-checks for packages like
> Matrix and quantreg at load / attach - time.

Why should that be needed?  Those packages assume they are talking to
working dynamic libraries, and there is no way to check that a particular
library works (it might work when compiled under gcc 4.1.2 and not under
4.2.0, to take a non-random example).

> Also you could be more precise on the "framework" in which R
> is running for comparable benchmark timings on different systems.
>
> Perhaps this information may even be included into the output
> of R.Version() :-) ?

I can think of more worthy candidates, e.g. the compilers used to build R,
and for Linux something more precise about the distro used.  Remember that
for most R users the BLAS/LAPACK speed is not very important: it
only matters where linear algebra dominates the computations.  If I run R
CMD check over CRAN with an optimized BLAS the speedup is barely
noticeable (but I do get more failures).