[Rd] S4 coerce

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Mon Jul 16 16:57:53 CEST 2007

(I am not sure if this is a bug or a request for a more understandable
warning, or possible something obvious I should be posting on r-help.)

I am trying to coerce an new class object to be a DBIConnection and it
does not work the way I think it should:

R version 2.5.1 (2007-06-27) ...
 > require("RMySQL") # or require("RSQLite")
[1] TRUE
 > m <- dbDriver("MySQL")  # or  m <- dbDriver("SQLite")
 > con <- dbConnect(m, dbname="test")
 > dbGetQuery(con, "create table zzz (
+    vintage     VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
+    alias       VARCHAR(20) default NULL,
+    Documentation     TEXT,
+    PRIMARY KEY (vintage)
+    );")
NULL
 > dbListTables(con)
  [1] "zzz"
 > setClass("TSconnection", representation(con="DBIConnection",
+    vintage = "logical",
+    panel   = "logical")
+    )
[1] "TSconnection"
 > setAs("TSconnection", "DBIConnection", def = function(from) from at con)
 > setIs("TSconnection", "DBIConnection", coerce = function(x) x at con)
Warning messages:
1: there is no automatic definition for as(object, "DBIConnection") <-
value when object has class "TSconnection" and no 'replace' argument was
supplied; replacement will be an error in: makeExtends(class1, class2,
coerce, test, replace, by, classDef1 = classDef,
2: methods currently exist for coercing from "TSconnection" to
"DBIConnection"; they will be replaced. in:
..removePreviousCoerce(class1, class2, where, prevIs)

# (warning may be important, but I don't understand it)

 > setAs("TSconnection", "MySQLConnection", def = function(from) from at con)
 > setIs("TSconnection", "MySQLConnection", coerce = function(x) x at con)
Warning messages:
1: there is no automatic definition for as(object, "MySQLConnection") <-
value when object has class "TSconnection" and no 'replace' argument was
supplied; replacement will be an error in: makeExtends(class1, class2,
coerce, test, replace, by, classDef1 = classDef,
2: methods currently exist for coercing from "TSconnection" to
"MySQLConnection"; they will be replaced. in:
..removePreviousCoerce(class1, class2, where, prevIs)

 > # or
 > # setAs("TSconnection", "SQLiteConnection", def = function(from)
from at con)
 > # setIs("TSconnection", "SQLiteConnection", coerce = function(x) x at con)

 > Tcon <- new("TSconnection", con=dbConnect(m, dbname="test"),
vintage=FALSE, panel=FALSE)
 > is(Tcon, "DBIConnection")
[1] TRUE
 > is(Tcon, "MySQLConnection")
[1] TRUE
 > # or is(Tcon, "SQLiteConnection")

 > # This fails but I think it should work
 > dbListTables(Tcon)
Error in slot(from, "Id") : no slot of name "Id" for this object of
class "TSconnection"

#these all work
 > dbListTables(Tcon at con)
  [1] "zzz"
 > dbListTables(as(Tcon, "MySQLConnection") )
  [1] "zzz"
 > dbListTables(as(Tcon, "DBIConnection") )
  [1] "zzz"

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Paul Gilbert

La version française suit le texte anglais.