[Rd] S4 coerce

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Tue Jul 17 16:22:48 CEST 2007

Seth Falcon wrote:

>Paul Gilbert <pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca> writes:
>

>>(I am not sure if this is a bug or a request for a more understandable
>>warning, or possible something obvious I should be posting on r-help.)
>>
>>I am trying to coerce an new class object to be a DBIConnection and it
>>does not work the way I think it should:
>>
>>R version 2.5.1 (2007-06-27) ...
>> > require("RMySQL") # or require("RSQLite")
>>[1] TRUE
>> > m <- dbDriver("MySQL")  # or  m <- dbDriver("SQLite")
>> > con <- dbConnect(m, dbname="test")
>> > dbGetQuery(con, "create table zzz (
>>+    vintage     VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL,
>>+    alias       VARCHAR(20) default NULL,
>>+    Documentation     TEXT,
>>+    PRIMARY KEY (vintage)
>>+    );")
>>NULL
>> > dbListTables(con)
>>  [1] "zzz"
>> > setClass("TSconnection", representation(con="DBIConnection",
>>+    vintage = "logical",
>>+    panel   = "logical")
>>+    )
>>[1] "TSconnection"
>> > setAs("TSconnection", "DBIConnection", def = function(from) from at con)
>>

>I think things work as you expect up until this pint.

Yes.

>> > setIs("TSconnection", "DBIConnection", coerce = function(x)
>> > x at con)
>>

>I'm confused about what you want to do here.  If you want TSconnection
>to be a DBIConnection, why wouldn't you use inheritance?
>
>   setClass("TSconnection", contains="DBIConnection", ...)

Perhaps my logic is confused, it wouldn't be the first time,  but I am
thinking of this as going the "other direction" from inheritance.   A
MySQLConnection or SQLiteConnection inherits from DBIConnection. To
actually use a DBIConnection or my TSconnection it will be necessary to
have one of these, so I would need something like

setClass("TSconnection", contains="MySQLConnection", ...)

to make this work. (Actually, I have not been able to make it work, but
that may just be the novice level of my experimenting.)   I am hoping I
can define the TSconnection using only DBIConnection classes and have it
automatically work when one of the database driver packages is added.
Otherwise  I have to define the TSconnection for each of the driver
packages, which is not as clean.

Paul

>+ seth

La version française suit le texte anglais.