[Rd] S4 and Namespaces problems {was "error message from lmer"}

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 06:30:26 CEST 2007

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Robert Gentleman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Martin Maechler wrote:
>> Here is a reproducible example for the Bug that both Sebastian
>> and Dale Barr found.
>>
>> As Brian mentioned in an another thread,
>> the problem is in the interaction of Namespaces and S4 generics
>> and which S4 generic should keep which methods.
>>
>> We know there are workarounds, but till now they seem either
>> ugly or very much against the idea that conceptually there
>> should be only one generic which may have methods defined in
>> many different packages / namespaces.
>
>   There should *not* be one generic. Generics are no different than any
> other function. Package A can have a generic named foo, and so can
> package B.  Other packages that want to add methods to a generic named
> foo need to know which one they would like to add to.  These generics
> can be masked. If Package A is first on the search path then that is the
> foo that is found first (and if Package B is first then that is the foo,
> users that specifically want foo from B should use B::foo).

I do think base is a special case here, given its privileged position in
the namespace hierarchy.  I'd take Martin's position as rather that there
should be only one generic derived by take-over from a function, at least
for those in base.

I believe that if you are allowed to make a function in base S4-generic
(and it is not obvious that you should be in many cases), then the derived
generic should conceptually be in base and thus always be found in place
of that in base.  Since base is not a normal environment or namespace,
that is not straightforward to implement but it should be possible by
(e.g.) C-level hacking and a environment to store such derived generics.
Primitives are rather different, and we now have a fairly efficient way to
allow designated primitives to have S4 methods.

I believe the registration model for S3 methods is pretty much the right
one: methods are set on the first 'foo' on the relevant search path, and
that does not cause another 'foo' to be created elsewhere that may or may
not precede the original in the relevant search path (since there are
multiple search paths once namespaces enter the mix).

The new implied generics model helps here: taking over a function in base
unaltered (the same as the implied generic) could be a derived generic,
and any alteration would create a new generic in your package.  That
protects code in other namespaces from your alterations.

>> I would like us (R-core, mostly) to resolve this as quickly as
>> possible.

It seems tricky enough to need debate what we want for a while and aim for
2.6.0.  But we have been discussing it on and off for at least two years.

Brian