[Rd] package NULL not found

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 20 13:17:19 CEST 2007

Note that the message is not about '' and NULL but about '<nl>'
and NULL<nl>.

I suspect the line endings are screwed up in the environment in use, which
seems not to be our toolset from the comments about Cygwin.  It is most
likely the shell used by make that is doing this, but it could be Perl.

I can reproduce this on Linux by

gannet% setenv R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES 'NULL\
'
gannet% Rdev --slave
During startup - Warning messages:
1: In library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc, character.only = TRUE,
logical.return = TRUE,  :
   there is no package called 'NULL
'
2: package NULL
  in options("defaultPackages") was not found

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 19/07/2007 7:16 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>> Thanks.  I tried performing the check from an empty directory but
>> it still gave the same response.  Where can I find the source code
>> for the check process?
>
> On Windows the main wrapper is a Perl script in RHOME/bin/check, but
> most of the work is done by routines in the tools package.  The one that
> seems to be dying for you is tools:::.check_package_depends.

It is what is getting passed to Rterm that seems to be the problem.