[Rd] loess prediction algorithm

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 10:11:28 CEST 2007

The R interface is just a wrapper for those Netlib C/Fortran functions.
I don't think anyone is going to be able (or willing) to read and explain
those for you.

You do need to understand the loess.control parameters, and I believe they
are explained in the White Book.  But perhaps you should use the simplest
options in R as a baseline.

I don't believe your sketchy description of tricube weights is correct:
the White Book has the details.

The default degree is 2, not linear fits.