[Rd] Question on the R's C stack limit

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 1 17:38:27 CEST 2007

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2007, at 5:44 AM, Ev Whin wrote:
>
>> Dear r-devel members,
>>     I encountered a C stack limit issue, when I tried to embed R
>> 2.5 into my
>> application.
>
> If you are embedding R, you can change or disable the stack limit by
> setting R_CStackLimit appropriately. There is no need to change the R
> source code.

Ah, you can change or disable R's detection of imminent stack limit
transgressions.  That does not change the actual stack size.

You may well have guessed right that this question was actually about
stack limit detection, but that is not what was written.

The point of the comment in the manual is that if you run R embedded in
another application, R potentially needs a fairly large stack size.  The 1
or 2Mb default of most Windows' compilers is insufficient, and stack size
is a parameter in the header of the application, not of the compiled
R.dll.