[Rd] HTML vignette browser

Friedrich Leisch friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Jun 4 17:57:34 CEST 2007

  > Hi,
  > this is tangentially related to the recent discussion on vignettes.
  > vignette() currently produces a listing of available vignettes, but
  > these are not clickable. Since R has a browseURL() function, it seems
  > natural to have a version that produces HTML with clickable links.
  > Here's an attempt at that:

  > source("http://dsarkar.fhcrc.org/R/vignette-browser.R")
  > browseVignettes()
  > browseVignettes(package = "grid")

  > etc. Perhaps some variant of this could be added to R.

  > Comments welcome.

Looks good to me, and certainly something worth being added to R.

2 quick (related) comments:

1) I am not sure if we want to include links to the Latex-Sources by
   default, those might confuse unsuspecting novices a lot. Perhaps
   make those optional using an argument to browseVignettes(), which
   is FALSE by default?

2) Instead links to .Rnw files we may want to include links to the R
   code -> should we R CMD INSTALL a tangled version of each vignette
   such that we can link to it? Of course it is redundant information
   given the .Rnw, but we also have the help pages in several formats
   ready.

.f