[Rd] missing IntegerFromString()

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jun 7 17:33:16 CEST 2007

On 6/6/07, Aniko Szabo <aszabo at hpi.mcw.edu> wrote:
> Thanks to everybody who responded to my question.
> asInteger(coerceVector(x,INTSXP)) indeed does what I need. I guess there
> is a lot I don't understand about type coercion, as I would not have
> expected it to work.

It is better to use

asInteger(x)

which will do the coercion if necessary.  When you do the coercion
yourself you should PROTECT the result then UNPROTECT it.  Calling
asInteger directly avoids this overhead without the risk of losing
data in a garbage collection.  asInteger can accomplish this because
only the first element of the SEXP x is converted to an integer.