[Rd] missing IntegerFromString()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 17:59:39 CEST 2007

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Douglas Bates wrote:

> On 6/6/07, Aniko Szabo <aszabo at hpi.mcw.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks to everybody who responded to my question.
>> asInteger(coerceVector(x,INTSXP)) indeed does what I need. I guess there
>> is a lot I don't understand about type coercion, as I would not have
>> expected it to work.
>
> It is better to use
>
> asInteger(x)
>
> which will do the coercion if necessary.  When you do the coercion
> yourself you should PROTECT the result then UNPROTECT it.  Calling
> asInteger directly avoids this overhead without the risk of losing
> data in a garbage collection.  asInteger can accomplish this because
> only the first element of the SEXP x is converted to an integer.

I have to say I am puzzled.  IntegerFromString works on a CHARSXP, and
furthermore does not check its argument (which is one reason why it is no
longer even exposed).  AFAICS, coerceVector(x,INTSXP) will not accept a
CHARSXP, but it will accept a STRSXP.  (The same for asInteger.)

So two ways to do this for vector 'x' are

asInteger(x)
INTEGER(coerceVector(x,INTSXP))[0]

provided in the second case you know 'x' has length at least 1.  But the
first is both safer and more efficient.

If you really have a CHARSXP, then you are not really supposed to work
with 'bare' CHARSXPs unless you know what you are doing (in which case you
don't need to ask ...).