[Rd] missing IntegerFromString()

Aniko Szabo aszabo at hpi.mcw.edu
Thu Jun 7 21:47:47 CEST 2007

I am sorry about the confusion, I was too hasty.
asInteger(coerceVector(x,INTSXP)) does not work after all. Here are more
details of what I am trying to accomplish: I have a matrix with column
names that are actually known to be integers (because I set them so
myself in the R code, say, colnames(mat) <- 1:10. Of course, they become
converted to character strings.)

The relevant part of my code used to be:

SEXP MyFunction(SEXP mat);
	int warn, minY
	SEXP rl, cl;
	char *rn, *cn;
	GetMatrixDimnames(mat, &rl, &cl, &rn, &cn);
	minY = IntegerFromString(VECTOR_ELT(cl,0), &warn);
	if (warn > 0) error("Names of popmatrix columns are not
integers");

Running some tests it appears that VECTOR_ELT(cl,0) is CHARSXP (which I
wound up using without even knowing it).
I tried replacing the IntegerFromString part with both
asInteger(VECTOR_ELT(cl,0)) and with
asInteger(coerceVector(VECTOR_ELT(cl,0),INTSXP)), but as you surmised,
since VECTOR_ELT(cl,0) is CHARSXP, it does not work.

So, how could I get the actual values in the column names?

Thanks for all your help,
Aniko