[Rd] Question about Running C code from R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 14:58:34 CEST 2007

Since you are using Borland C++, the examples in the online complement to
'S Programming' are relevant, as is README.packages.

Basically, you have not managed to export any entry points, and to do so
you will need to make a DLL and not a .exe.

*However* it is much easier to make use of the MinGW compiler used to make
R.

You are trying too hard using getNativeSymbolInfo etc, and R CMD INSTALL
does work under Windows.

I would study 'Writing R Extensions' and 'R Installation and
Administration Manual', install MinGW and use

R CMD SHLIB

to make a DLL.  It really is a lot easier to follow a well-trodden path
than to create your own.  (In Roger Bivand's analogy: you need stepping
stones across this morass/mire/bog.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk