[Rd] compiler usage after successful UNIX build

Louisell, Paul ploua at allstate.com
Mon Jun 11 22:20:42 CEST 2007

Hi,

I believe my question is pretty simple, but I'd like to give you brief
background first:

I work at a company with UNIX installed on a sparc-sun-solaris platform;
the OS version is SunOS 5.9. Several of us who work here have been
advocating for the installation of R on this server. The IT security
group at my company prefers not to install the gcc compilers on our UNIX
production servers; they're okay doing this in a test environment.

My question: After a successful build, is there anytime that R might
call the compiler? My (limited) understanding was that once the binaries
are created, the compiler is not used unless you're doing another build,
e.g., compiling source code for a package. Does R ever compile routines
during execution? Does it depend on how the installation was done?

Thanks for your help with this.

Paul Louisell
650-833-6254
ploua at allstate.com