[Rd] Warning under R 2.6.0: Rd files with unknown encoding

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Jun 12 19:11:02 CEST 2007

John Fox wrote:
> Dear Brian,

Several tools seem to be overly helpful in doing that conversion
(x-caret-2 becomes x-superscript-2) these days. X11 keyboards without
the nodeadkeys option does it if you forget a space after the caret, and
Thunderbird does it when displaying emails, which is almost as annoying
as the automatic smiley recognition (which has been said to "turn Perl
scripts into love letters").